In this video, we'll create a new slideshow that will cycle through our most recent blog posts.
Now let's create another kind of slideshow. Let's set up a slideshow that rotates content instead of images. This might be useful if you want to create a block that cycles through testimonials. Or if you want to show recent blog posts, and want to include more than just the title, without taking up too much space on the page. Let's set that up and see how it works.
Create the view (Format: Slideshow - settings)
- Go to "Structure => Views => Add new view" (admin/structure/views/add)
- View name: Recent Blog Posts
- Show: Content
- of type: Article
- sorted by: Newest first
- [x] Create a block
- Block Title: Featured Content
- Display format: Slideshow
- of: fields
- Items per page: 5
- [ ] Use a pager
- (Continue and edit)
Let's create some content before we get into the slideshow settings so that we can see the settings in action.
- Go to "Content => Add content => Featured Content" (node/add/featured-content)
- (I'm going to use the Devel module to generate 10 pieces of the Article content type.)
Display the block
- Go to "Structure => Blocks" (admin/structure/block)
- Scroll down and find the block, "View: Recent Blog Posts", click "Configure"
- Region Settings: Sidebar first
- Pages: All pages except those listed
Now, when we go home, we see the "Recent Blog Posts" block. Right now it's only displaying the content title, so let's add some more information. Let's start with the post date, content teaser and a link to the full article.