events | Modules Unraveled
123 Planning Drupal Events with Bert Boerland and Imre Gmelig Meyling - Modules Unraveled Podcast
Published: Wed, 10/22/14
Dutch Drupal Foundation
- What is the Dutch Drupal Foundation?
- Dutch Drupal Foundation supports Dutch Drupal Community. We’re groing. Trying to handle work in a professional way in a voluntary way. Lead double lives: daytime job versus community commitments.
- How is this different from the Drupal Association?
- How has that been going for you?
- Would you recommend other regional areas start something similar?
- What events have you organized recently?
- Drupal Events in Dutch speaking part of EU (Belgium and Netherlands) became big. E.g. DrupalJam (350ppl), Drupal Training Day (250 students). Relatively large events become routine. Now ppl spreading cross border on tour to share experience
- Tell me about DrupalJam. What is it, and how long have you been putting it on?
- DrupalJam largest event in Netherlands. Started small in 2007 with 30 persons and some pizza boxes in a basement. Now 350 ppl / €25K. Outgrown study dorm and pizza’s. Also started Drupal Training Day (largest worldwide) and Drupal Splash Awards. Lot of work and commitment. Getting more serious. Growing pains expected
- What are some difference in paid events vs. free events?
- What has the attendance been like for free events?
- Where does the income come from?
- How do you get sponsors?
- When do you recommend charging a ticket price to attendees?
- How have you seen your community transition from coders who just come to code for fun, to people who are making their living using Drupal?
- Come for Drupal, stay for code. Sounds fun. It is. But business side of things and commitment to making this work professionally is different cake.
- Balance between business side and community side, which is a recurring topic for everything we do in the community. Drupal has become enterprise platform, community still many smaller agencies w/ different values (see incline on Gartner oct. 2014)
- What does the Drupal landscape look like in europe
- Pan EU events: Frontend United, CxO, Drupal Government Days Brussels 2009