We need a Twitter application in order for our site to interact with Twitter. In this video, I will show you how to create that Twitter application. Then we'll finish configuring our site to post tweets to, and receive tweets from our Twitter account.
Create a Twitter application
- Go to "https://apps.twitter.com"
- Sign in with your Twitter account
- (Create New App)
- Name: MU Tweet Sharing App
- Description: An app to share tweets between my site and my Twitter account.
- Website: (Your website domain)
- Callback URL: (Copy and paste from your site. Switch back to your Drupal site then go to "Configuration => Web Services => Twitter => Settings" (admin/config/services/twitter/settings) and just under the OAuth Settings, you'll see the Callback URL)
- [x] Yes, I agree
- (Create your Twitter application)
Configure Twitter Application
- Click "Settings" tab
- Application icon
- Choose file to upload
- Organization name: (Your organization name)
- Organization website: (Your organization's website)
- (Update settings)
- Click "Permissions" tab
- [x] Read and Write (This permission will allow your application to read and write from your Twitter account. Note: You may need to add your mobile number to your Twitter account, in order to verify ownership. See This support article for more info on that.)
- (Update settings)
- Click "Test OAuth" and switch back to your Drupal site to configure Twitter module settings.
Configure OAuth Settings
- Go to "Configuration => Web services => Twitter => Settings" (admin/config/services/twitter/settings)
- OAuth Consumer key: (Copy and paste form your Twitter application)
- OAuth Consumer secret: (Copy and paste form your Twitter application)
- (Save configuration)
Okay, we're ready to go! In the next video, we'll take a look at how this works by automatically posting to twitter when new content is created on our site, and displaying our Twitter stream on our site.