Composer | Modules Unraveled
I'm releasing a new series today!!!!!
Over the last year, I've given a talk at DrupalCon, DrupalCorn Camp, and Drupal Camp Colorado all about using Composer and Configuration Management in Drupal 8. Those sessions were around 45 minutes, which is much too short to go in depth, and explain everything thoroughly.
- What is composer?
- Dependency Manager for PHP
- How does it relate to Drush Make?
- Surprisingly similar
- “Getting off the island”
- What can you do with composer on a Drupal site?
- download dependencies, drupal modules, themes, profiles, drush, external libraries etc
- How do you download contrib modules?
- How do you download contrib themes?
- Can you specify where to download project? ie: modules/contrib and modules/custom?
- composer/installers & davidbarratt/custom-installer
- Where do you store custom modules/themes?
- Two methods: Committing to your repo or creating separate repos
- Reference repo in you composer.json
- Toran Proxy
- How can you specify and download a library to go with a module?
- module should specify it in composer.json
- if not submit a patch, and add to your composer.json for now
- drupal/drupal vs drupal/core
- If you want to use the project-repo/web
composer create-project drupal/drupal
- Composer template for Drupal Projects
- Build sites from scratch with
- Update drupal/modules/themes/etc. with
I just spent the last two days trying to find the best, fastest, easiest way to install Drupal 8 locally on my mac... I think I've done it!
Using the awesome power of Composer, Drupal Console, and Drush, I can simply type "composer install" and then sit back and watch my site be created, install, and open in a new window!
I'm going to write a more in-depth blog post soon, but I couldn't help but share it now. I'm just too excited!