Configuration Management | Modules Unraveled
New FREE Series! Drupal 8: Composer and Configuration Management
I'm releasing a new series today!!!!!
Over the last year, I've given a talk at DrupalCon, DrupalCorn Camp, and Drupal Camp Colorado all about using Composer and Configuration Management in Drupal 8. Those sessions were around 45 minutes, which is much too short to go in depth, and explain everything thoroughly.
162 Drupal 8 Enterprise Development with Allan Chappell and David Diers - Modules Unraveled Podcast
Published: Wed, 07/13/16
- In D7, we used the Migrate Drupal to Drupal module, what’s the case for D8?
- Speak on pattern of using Migrate Drupal as a basis for a migration.
- Migration plugins and yml configuration declarations are an improvement on an already excellent module - if you are going to handle migrations like you did in 7 - which might be appropriate depending on your use case
- Appropriate where you are significantly revising the content model, configuration or site composition.
- What are some of the pros and cons of the way Migrate Drupal works in D8?
- Migration of most Drupal settings: registration emails, site name, debug settings, etc.
- Migration of most fields (work is ongoing to include contrib into upgrade migrations)
- Migration of all content types with nodes and revisions
- By default, fixed ids (not ideal for staged work)
- Miss an opportunity to take out the trash
- Let’s talk about configuration management. I know from working with you guys that you started out using Features...
- Tried out a features based approach at first - because it was similar to well established patterns in 7 - but abandoned it for the project
- Feature branch activity then confex seems to be working out well
- Configuration import and export has inspired a lot of confidence in getting to known states.
- The challenge is probably in managing environmental config settings - that’s where Master still might have a place.
- Using configuration export and import committed to git repo.
- Challenges of local configuration vs production configuration.
- Managing code review
- Automated removal of local configuration
- Would like to know some other people’s workflows