Blog | Modules Unraveled
070 DrupalCon Prague Business and Strategy Track - Modules Unraveled Podcast
- What is the theme of the Business and Strategy track?
- What kinds of sessions are you hoping to have submitted?
- What’s the title of your session, and what is it going to be about?
069 DrupalCon Prague Community Summit Day - Modules Unraveled Podcast
- What exactly is the Community Summit?
- Why did you kill the community track?
- Now, if someone has a community session, what do they do?
068 DrupalCon Prague Global Team with Rick Nashleanas and Jozef Toth - Modules Unraveled Podcast
Global Track Chairs
Who is the global team and what do they do?
Rick: The global team is our organizational memory in putting on DrupalCons. They have been local track chairs and they consult with the locals to guide us away from potholes and toward the best sessions. We have a North American and a European global track chair for our standing track: Coding & Development, Frontend, Site Building, Business and Strategy, and DevOps. Link: https://association.drupal.org/drupalcon/global-team
Jozef, what is your role in DrupalCon Prague?
Jozef: My role is to help the local track chair with anything he needs help with:) So mostly it is to support him, discuss various issues that arise during the whole preparation process and mostly during the session selection process.
Jozef, who do you work with on the Frontend track for Prague?
Jozef: Together with my US global co-chair Ken Woodworth we work mostly with Jesper Woeldiche who is the local track chair and is doing an amazing job!
What is the theme of the track?
Jozef: This year we wanted to focus on implementing established best practices in both design, workflow and code and exploring cases that stretch the boundaries of what can be done with Drupal. Since building function able, usable, high-performing and beautiful websites requires you to go beyond the framework itself.
So the MAIN THEMES are
De-druplifying the user and the editing experience
Mobile tools & techniques
Interactive maps and visualizations
What gets you excited about being a global track chair for Drupalcon Prague?
Jozef: I am always excited when I see the amount of great session submissions that we have each year. It is always great to see how much wisdom and experience there is within our community and that these experts are willing to share it. To me this is the true flavour of an open source community.
Rick, what are you excited about at DrupalCon Prague?
Rick: I am excited about the innovations brought to DrupalCons by the local Prague team. The use of video on the site and for site submissions. From the popularity of the SASS/Compass triple BoF in Munich, I am very excited about the ½ day hands-on Labs sessions and I am excited at bringing that format to the North American DrupalCons.
067 DrupalCon Prague Core Conversations with Gabor Hojtsy, Cathy Theys and Shannon Vettes- Modules Unraveled Podcast
- What is the theme of the track?
- Are core conversations only for coders?
- Are sessions limited to Drupal core topics?
- What is this crazy talk about Drupal 9, Drupal 8 is not even released!?
- What is the timeline for submission?
- There aren’t currently any core conversations proposed, so what kind of sessions would you like to see?
066 The aGov Distribution with Kim Pepper - Modules Unraveled Podcast
- What is aGov?
- Previous next is the main driving force behind aGov
- Why did you create it?
- Australian metadata standard
- Scheduled publishing
- Site archiving
- Integrating with an accessibility checker
- Security features
- WCAG 2 AA
- Color contrast ratios
What modules are you using?
- Panels in-place editor
Patched modules along the way to make them accessible
- Government Departments that want to get a site up quickly
Is this only applicable to government in Australia?
- Are there different standards for government agencies in Europe or America?
Collaborating with Canadian distribution
- Why can’t they just use aGov?
Had an independent audit by Vision Australia
- What’s in the future?
- Shared infrastructure (taxonomy, etc.)
- Beta version of the accessibility checker is out, we’re going to improve that
- Possibly rebuild on Panopoly
065 NodeSquirrel and Backup and Migrate with Ronan Dowling and Drew Gorton - Modules Unraveled Podcast
NodeSquirrel Video Tutorial
To see just how easy NodeSquirrel is to use, checkout my FREE video.
Backup and Migrate
- What is Backup and Migrate?
- With all of the ways to backup sites, why did you originally create Backup and Migrate?
- This a pretty substantial module, how many people are using this right now?
- Backup and Restore your database
- Select tables that you want to backup
- Backup Files (with Backup and Migrate files module)
- FTP and S3
- HP Cloud
- What is NodeSquirrel?
- Developed by Gorton Studios
- NodeSquirrel is now built in to Backup and Migrate!
- Off-site backup
- Gives you a place to log in and get your backups when your server is down.
- Setup once, and you’re done
- Pricing (Free trial without asking for a credit card)
064 DrupalCon Prague with Rick Nashleanas, Andrew Burcin and Stephanie El-Hajj - Modules Unraveled Podcast
- When is it?
- Where is it?
- Who are the keynote speakers, and what will they talk about?
- What tracks are available?
- Are there any featured sessions you’d like to point out?
- What is the DrupalCon global team?
- Historians, consultants, volunteers who get no credit
- Who are the globals?
- Standing tracks, North American and European leaders,
- What are the qualifications to be a global?
- Previously a local track chair, content expert
- What do you do?
- Herd cats, deal with problems
063 DrupalCon Austin Announcement with Diana Montalion Dupuis - Modules Unraveled Podcast
- Where is the DrupalCon going to be?
- Why Austin?
- When is it? (June 2-6)
- With extended sprints before and after
- What does the tech community look like there?
- What does the Drupal community look like?
- DrupalCamp Austin (June 21st 2013)
- What’s the Drupal adoption look like in Austin?
- It’s strongly linked with adoption of other front and back end technologies. (node.js etc)
- Who’s going to be the “boots on the ground” in Austin playing “host”?
- Probably the same people that did it for Portland. Sponsors etc.
- Four Kitchens, Astonish, Whole Foods, City of Austin, Volacci, etc.
062 Kraftwagen with Rolf van de Krol - Modules Unraveled Podcast
- On the kraftwagen.org it says that Kraftwagen is “Drupal for large (distributed) development teams and staged deployments.” Can you elaborate on what exactly that means?
- (Rolf) pain of configuration in DB. Everything in code is essential. Standardized workflow
- What do you mean when you say “Drupal for developers”?
- It states that everything is in code. Does that include info from the database, like configuration?
- How does this compare to the configuration management initiative in Drupal 8?
- How does it integrate with multiple deployment targets like local, staging and live environments?
- It mentions skeletons, what are those?
- (Rolf) start points. mention scaffolding
- So, how does this all work? What are the components of Kraftwagen?
- (Rolf) kraftwagen (drush extension) and 2 important modules (kw-manifests and kw-itemnames). explain the workflow of Kraftwagen (setup, build, init db, update)
- On the site is says something about Environment awareness, and mentions that the Devel module shouldn’t be enabled on a live server, but should on a development environment. I get around this by using a global git ignore file on my local machine that ignores the devel module. So, when I spin up a new site on my local machine, part of that process is to install the Devel module, but my system prevents it from ever being pushed anywhere automatically. How does Kraftwagen deal with that?
- (Rolf) builds are not environment aware, but dependencies and manifests are.
- Are you familiar with Aegir? How would you compare the two?
061 The Walkthrough.it Project with Kristof Van Tomme - Modules Unraveled Podcast
- What is walkthrough.it?
- I heard that this works with Selenium in the background
- What is Selenium?
- How does Selenium make this awesome?
- How is this related to the Tour module in Drupal 8 core?
- How do you record walkthroughs?
- How do you play walkthroughs?
- You recently finished a crowdfunding campaign on IndieGoGo, can you tell a bit more about
- What things did you promised as part of the campaign?
- WalkHub: walkthrough server distribution,
- Walkthrough module for Drupal
- really awesome t-shirts
- WalkHub.net: GitHub for interactive tutorials
- An iPad application with introductory tutorials for Drupal distributions
- What is this iPad app for?
- Can you tell me a bit more about the Drupal module?
- Will there be versions for both Drupal 7 and Drupal 8?
Grand prize: documentation of a distribution
- You promised that you would document 1 distribution with walkthroughs if your IndieGoGo
campaign would be a success. Do you already know which one will win?